Friday, January 6, 2012

Gratefulness

I've realized over the past year how much I have to be grateful for. We started 2011 with the hope of a beautiful baby girl making her way in March, and a little fear that something would happen and we would lose her like we lost her brother.



Now it's a year later. Not only is this sweet little girl here, but she is healthy. She's perfect in every way. We've been battling illness at our house the past few months. We've had hand, foot and mouth twice, and bronchiolitis. As soon as one thing clears up it feels like she just gets something else. This week we went to the doctor and she has RSV, Bronchiolitis, and an ear infection. Giving breathing treatments and antibiotics seems overwhelming when you have a screaming baby who doesn't want it.

In these moments it's very easy for me to complain. It's easy for me to see how hard having a sick baby is. I'm sure mom's out there can agree. Sick babies are no picnic, but that doesn't mean my focus needs to be on how hard an frustrating it is.

I think back to a year ago when we were scared, anxious, frustrated about how our pregnancy was going. And I look at the blessing I have in my life now, and I realize that there are good things about having a sick baby...she snuggles with me. She's moving everywhere now, and when she gets worn down she wants mommy snuggles and it's so nice. I love her snuggles. When she's not sick she's exploring. She's very curious. She gets into all she can find, and then she looks at us and giggles. She enjoys life. She is my tiny blessing.

So I'm learning during this time of sickness to be grateful to have her here. I learning to be grateful for the sweet snuggles I get, and that this too shall pass, and she'll be on the go again soon.

There is just so much in life that it's easy to complain about, but there is always something to be grateful for in those times too.


No comments: